Monday, May 11, 2009

Ice ice baby

I was at Wal-Mart today looking for an ice cube tray, which I could not find. However, I did find toads, and not in the "pets" section, either. The toads were in the meat department, in a tank, looking forlorn in a way only a toad at Wal-Mart can. However, having been in China now for a week I find it not at all surprising that it is easier to buy edible toads than an ice cube tray.

It's too bad, because I really wanted an ice cube tray. In China, nothing is ever served cold. Most things are served hot (because it's better for the digestion) but things that would be served cold in the states (beer, milk) are room temperature at best. It's 90 degrees here, and I spend my day wanting nothing so much as a cold drink. So when I get home, I want ice. Sadly, no ice for me. However, I did get a toad. I think he'll make a great pet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh good - more blogs! I love reading these!

Unknown said...

I cannot tell whether you are serious about the pet toad.

Matt Rainson said...

No, I wasn't serious about the toad. I felt bad for the toads but I don't really know how to keep on alive.

Unknown said...

I can't believe you lied about the toad! Here I was, picturing you in your little craptominium with your new toady friend! It was a great mental image for me..just you and the toad hangin' out. I'm so disappointed, I'll never believe another word.